Thursday, April 1, 2010

Watch Out!!

Isn't it amazing
how some memories
are so vivid?
I have a lot of memories
of my little brother
learning to drive.
We all laugh about the time
when we were on our way to Utah
and he asked if he could
drive across the salt flats.
What the heck,
there wasn't anyone around.
So my dad pulled over
and let him jump behind the wheel.
Which is when he tried
to actually drive out
ONTO the salt flats.
Ooops.
And then there was the
constructive criticism
my dad loved to give.
Our favorite
is now a familiar family phrase -
"Stop parking on the sidewalk
for crying out loud!!"
I was just barely
out of the teenage years myslef
when it all happened,
but it seems like only yesterday.
But as I find myself with this
parked outside my front door...

I realize that those memories are decades old.

Can it really be that my baby is already driving?

Suddenly he's happy to go everywhere I go!

And guess what -- I'm happy to have him with me!

6 comments:

cbo said...

Good for you! I am struggling to let Ailee drive because I am usually in a hurry.

Wendy said...

It's crazy to think it was that long ago, isn't it? I love that you love having him with you.

Stephen and Debbie said...

WOW! That is so crazy! It is really amazing that time has gone so fast! We are proud of him! :)

Tami said...

Way to go, Matt! What an exciting time of life. Be safe!

The Lowe Family said...

Really??? Can he be that old? It's crazy how they grow up so quickly. Good luck with that driver training thing. I do not look forward to teaching my kids to drive. Good thing you are much more patient than me. Your kids will probably survive it. :)

Katie C said...

Driving! Actually, I can think of no better teenager to have behind the wheel!