I am blessed to have some amazingly brave ancestors, and they have been on my mind a lot lately. I've always wondered how they did it - giving up home, friends and family to move across the world or across the country. Leaving everything behind to do what they knew to be right. Standing up for their religious convictions in the face of hatred and fear. I've always wondered if I would have had the courage to do what they did. I'm not sure.
I've had to do a lot of brave things lately, and let me tell you that it is very hard. When my son was struggling with the gender change of his music teacher, I had to pull him out of class. I've been accused of discrimination, been called a bigot, and many friendships have been lost or altered. Teachers that I once worked side by side with have held me up as an example of how not to be a parent. I have been labled as intolerant for standing up for my children. I've chosen not to publicly fight them. Defending my position would mean laying Adam's pain open for the world to see, and I won't do that. And now we are nearing the end of our fight to pass Prop 8. It's been a difficult journey for me as I have people that I dearly love in a committed same-sex relationship. But again, I feel to stand up for children - mine and others - and for my religion - which I am deeply committed to - and say that marriage should be between a man and a woman for the purpose of having children and raising them to love and worship God. My dear son Matthew, not knowing that I was too chicken to volunteer, told his friend's mom that our family would be happy to stand on the street corner and wave Prop 8 signs. How could I admit to him how cowardly I was? So... I went. More sneers, more name calling, and lots of little birds flipping around. But, I did it! I survived! Maybe I could have been a pioneer. I'm thankful today for them, for their courage, and for a little bit of something they had that still lives on in me.
6 years ago
6 comments:
That is the best! I feel inspired! Thanks for sharing your feelings! You truly are a pioneer!
I truly admire you for standing up for what you believe!
You are amazing. It is very difficult in todays society to stand up for what you believe but our kids need to know that it is ok to stand up for what you believe in so that they will have the courage to do the same when they are faced with something like that. Your kids are what is important and if those people are looking down on you for watching out for your kids then they are not the friends you need. Way to go, keep being strong!
What an example you are! Our family has been up to our elbows in Prop 8...(Tyler is our zip code coordinator) But we have been well received. I knew we were lucky to have such a positive experience with it! I know it was difficult, but how blessed you and your posterity will be! Thanks for fighting the fight with us...I hope it passes!!!!
can I just say that I know how you feel. I have friends and family that have chosen an alternate lifestyle and this has been very difficult. I agree with you about the importance of doing it despite our fears because of our children. I am inspired by your story. I am sorry for the pain and heartache. I think you are right. Maybe this gives us a very small take of what Missori must have been like for those early Mormon pioneers and the injustices they suffered because of their beliefs. Be strong and know you have MANY people behind you, despite the few you may have lost through this challenge.
You could have definitely been a pioneer...and I've always looked up to you!!
Post a Comment