Monday, September 8, 2008

Valero Family Day

On Saturday we took the ferry out to Angel Island in the San Francisco Bay for Valero Family Day. We had lunch, played volleyball, watched Matthew disco, got our bodies painted and watched as artists made some amazing balloon creations. But by far the best part of the day was participating in our first ever sand castle contest. I was a bit leary when Brad signed us up, and we got off to a bit of a slow start (we couldn't agree on what to create), but once we got started it was a lot of fun. Our friends the Quains helped us out and in the one hour time limit we created "Crush" (the turtle from Finding Nemo) out of sand. I have to say that it is lots harder than it looks - it was a hot day and the sand kept drying out and falling apart - but here's a picture of our creation...


You can't see the three baby turtles that were crawling behind him, but the whole thing was quite impressive looking! We won the award for "Best of Show" and received $50 in movie gift certificates and $25 worth of Jamba Juice gift cards! The kids were really proud of their hard work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is amazing! I would have given you guys 1st prize also!

Anonymous said...

Very impressive. Now we've got real celebrities in the family!

The Richardsons said...

We knew you had talents! At our house, someone runs through the middle before we ever get one built!

cbo said...

That sounds like a very fun day! I love your turtle...very creative!

The Eccles said...

Wow, I am impressed! I love Crush, dude! What a fun, family building event!

Unknown said...

you guys did a great job. I can totally see him saying,"duuude". Enjoy that jamba juice and movies.